How to Apply

Follow the instructions here to Apply.

How to Apply

Postby Dpsonroids on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:55 am

The following is an application template that every application will use. Copy/paste the template, fill it out and post it as a new thread in the application forum. Be sure to fill in all the questions.

Once you have posted your application, your thread will be visible to raiding members of the guild as well as yourself, and we may use it to ask follow-up questions. Be sure to check back regularly and respond as needed. Once your application thread has run its course and we have had a chance to discuss it, an officer will get back to you to either decline or to set up an interview on mumble. This could take anywhere from a few hours to a more than a week depending on how busy we are, so please be patient.

If it looks like you spent about 20 seconds doing your application, do not be surprised if we spend less time than that declining. Please make an effort with your presentation and try to write coherently. Applications that lack detail have a very good chance of not going anywhere. In addition, parses are a must.

Application Form
Character Name and BattleTag

Class

Primary spec

Link to your Armory profile

Raid UI screenshot

Computer specs

Average ping to Sargeras (i.e. Chicago servers)? What is your backup plan in case of an unexpected internet outage during progression?

Do you have an authenticator?

WCL parses or similar

What addons do you use? Do you have any coding experience to assist in creating custom WeakAuras and/or addons?

What made you consider applying to Midwinter?

Tell us about your last guild. Why are you choosing us over them? Do you have any references?

Tell us about the rest of your raiding history. What content have you cleared in the past? Which guilds did you do it with? Do you have any experience in guild leadership positions or other positions of responsibility?

Prove that you are as good as we expect. Go into detail about what makes someone a master of your current class/spec, and show us how that is reflected in your own logs.

What secondary specs or alternative characters do you feel you play at a similar level to your main? Do you have sufficient gear to be raid viable with these specs/characters? What recent experience do you have playing them?

Tell us about yourself. Show us the man/woman behind the character. Impress us, make us laugh. Convince us we want you in our guild. If you don't take the time to sell yourself, there's no reason for us to want to take you. We've worked hard to make this a great place to raid and demand incoming candidates prove they're committed to continuing that.
Dpsonroids
Guild Master

Re: How to Apply

Postby Dpsonroids on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:31 am

Cakes wrote:The following posts are examples of good applications we've had in the past. If you plagiarize them, be sure to at least do us the courtesy of changing the name on the application.

Gratuitous use of smiley faces, but otherwise a great app.

Jelly wrote:Character Name: Jellybao

Class: Warrior

Primary Spec: 12/3/46, but I do know your requirements for Sunwell and I'm willing to raid 11/7/43 for imp demo.

Armorylite Profile: http://armorylite.com/us/Cenarius/Jellybao
I am currently in my pvp gear, but I will log out in my tank gear...although I'm not sure how long it takes armorylite to udpate i've never actually linked an armorylite profile only blizzard's armory.

UI Screenshot:

As you can see I have a plain UI, I got used the blizzard bars because I hated waiting for a bar mod to update when a big patch came out. The only thing I cannot stand about a blizzard's UI is the unit frame so that I had to get! My UI probably looks weird and I do have odd keybinds.

WWS Parses: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-b9hfozgxk6mlhmmy/sum/damageDone/?s=3998&e=4142

Tell us about your last guild(s) and the history with why are you choosing us over them:

My guild on Cenarius broke up due to not having people show up for raids, also that server sucks horribly with pvp and pve. I would like to transfer back to Ysera and I thought I'd throw in an app. I'm choosing MW because I know the guild is great, I did a bear run with some alts before I transferred and we almost wiped but still managed to get the 4th chest with more than enough time left, which is amazing (I have yet to see another guild do that when they wipe). MW has a lot of good players and I'd like to have a chance to raid with the guild.

Tell us how you play your class, and how it makes you stand apart from others:

I've played a warrior for about 2 years now and I know how to play to very well. I've played with all specs but I've always loved tanking more than dpsing. I'm always looking for ways to improve the way I play, I check EJ forums constantly so I can better myself at playing this class. I'm always prepared for raids with consumables, for trash I normally pop a Elixir of AGI/Mastery and an Elixir for fortitude, I also carry stam food and hit food, if I'm needed for boss tanking I always have a flask ready. I carry about a stack of each elixirs, a stack of flasks, 20 nightmare seeds, 15-20 iron shield pots, and I also carry adamantite sharpening stones for tanking and weight stones for dev spam dps :), I almost forgot I also carry about 15 mighty rage pots for when we get raged starved on some occasion the boss has a really bad hit chance =P. I also carry my dps gear for when I will not be tanking, I have a decent fury set for prot dps.

Btw...to answer your question I do not have a Solarian's Sapphire :(.

What do you have bound to your 1-5 keys?
In order
Battle: Heroic, Charge, MS or SS, Execute, Hamstring
Defensive: Heroic, Taunt, Sunder or Devastate, SS, Revenge (Shield Block is bound to another key)
Zerker: Heroic, MS or SS, Whirlwind, Pummel, Execute

Tell us about yourself. Show us the man/woman behind the character. And impress us, make us laugh. Convince us we want you in our guild. If you don't take the time to sell yourself, there's no reason for us to want to take you. We've worked hard to make this a great place to raid and demand incoming candidates prove they're committed to continuing that.

Hello! My name is Jennifer, I'm 24 years old and live in Ohio, not a big football fan though (it's a scary place when college football starts)! I used to live in CA but I moved here about a year ago and people always question why I did that :(. I work at a freight management company 4 days a week, gotta admit it can get pretty boring especially when the slow season rolls around :(. I don't go to school atm but I plan to return in the near future. People say girls are bad when it comes to playing WoW unless you're asian....So I have some advantage there! Let's see ,I like to listen to a lot of music except techno or heavy metal, I love to go out and watch movies, so I guess I'm your average 24 year old!

Thanks for taking the time to look at my app, if my app is lame...I totally understand *tries to use the girly happy anime kitty face to get brownie points!* =^.^= Good luck on KJ and I hope you guys kill him very soon!
Dpsonroids
Guild Master

Postby Dpsonroids on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:32 am

Michael wrote:Character Name: Ruggles

Class: Hunter

Primary Spec: Cookie cutter BM build, 41/20/0

Armorylite Profile: http://armorylite.com/us/Doomhammer/Ruggles

UI Screenshot:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x242 ... rmalui.jpg

Just the default UI, most of my addons are raid/PvP triggered.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x242 ... idui-1.jpg

Sorry I don’t have a better “Action shot” so to speak, but I’ll give you a brief rundown. As far as raid mods go, I use CTRA for overall raid status and raid bars, I also have ORA installed for the main tank boxes. I have, and should always have open, omen. I personally prefer DBM to bigwigs, though I’d have no problem downloading bigwigs if needed, I know a lot of guilds prefer one or the other. I use SimpleMD for easy to watch misdirection use, and I think that’s about it. My UI is subject to frequent change but this is pretty much how it looks 99% of the time.

WWS Parses:

http://wowwebstats.com/ah4fuim3oerdo?s=127581-139574

This is my last Teron kill with my guild, in the exact gear I’m wearing now. Granted, Teron is always a bit inflated but this is a good example, I think, of what I can do given the perfect set up. I also forgot to use a haste pot =[.

http://wowwebstats.com/azbq54tlgnozw?s=60916-91892

This is the only Brut kill I could get my hands on. Not a particularly great example, in my opinion, since I died to burn [three stacks of meteor slash + burn hurts] and got resurrected with all my buffs wiped. Either way, still above the required DPS for the encounter so I guess I should be happy.

Tell us about your last guild(s) and the history with why are you choosing us over them:

Well, this character’s about two and a half years old now, but I’m really not a guild hopper.

Sentinels:
Pre-BC I hit 60 and joined the only raiding guild I could get into, Nemesis. We cleared MC and we were one of two guilds at the time competing for boss kills. The guild ahead of us was Acies. I had a lot of friends in Acies, and always wanted to join but they were quite full on hunters. Acies went on to clear BWL and up to Huhu in AQ40, with me occasionally pugging a spot for them, while Nemesis was never able to really advance. Well BC hit, and nemesis continued to do MC at 70 and, of course, it caused quite the exodus. Acies had its troubles too, and finally a hunter spot opened around the time they killed Shade of Aran for the first time on the server. I joined as fast as I could and didn’t look back. I was there for every server first kill from prince to Illidan. We started learning Kalecgos and killed him once, but due to an [awesome] power outage I wasn’t there for it. After that we started losing people left and right to burnout and summer vacation, and eventually the guild decided to stop raiding. I resolved to try out a new server, since the small talent pool on sentinels just got that much smaller the day Acies stopped raiding.

Doomhammer:
I joined Do It Well under the pretense of being a bench warmer since I still wanted to raid but my schedule was becoming very erratic. Once I was able to start raiding again full time, I did so. Unfortunately I didn’t exactly have a lot of DKP to spend and not a lot of time to spend it before all my friends in the guild decided to leave because of an incompetent leader. That should hopefully explain why I’ve killed everything up to M’uru but don’t exactly have much gear to show for it.

Now:
I’m guildless and looking for a new home, one I’d like to have 'til WotLK and beyond. I first heard about Midwinter from Lenala [Lyriana] while you guys were working on M’uru. He seems to speak quite highly of you guys so I figured I should check it out. After about three days of browsing all sorts of guild recruitment pages and finding some guilds that actually made me want to stop playing, I really enjoyed looking over the laid back, but professional, atmosphere you guys seem to have.

Oy, tough question. Well, being a hunter isn’t exactly the most difficult class in the world to play, but I’d like to think playing it well sets me apart from most. I read an excessive amount of theorycrafting and have a lot of close friends playing hunters in guilds like vodka and EJ. It’s always quite nice to talk to hunters that really know what they’re talking about, and I do often think of myself as such. When I played on sentinels I was the first hunter to break 2k DPS [back when it really meant something] and kept a close friendship with all the raiding hunters on the server, always giving each other tips and pointers. As far as how I play my hunter is concerned, I can’t really say it’s TOO different than most hunters at this level would be. I love trying to find how a hunter can change a certain encounter, if they can. I mouse turn, use keybinds for all the important spells and abilities, I use a 3:2 macro for my steady shot, and because of my high agility and crit I use a wind serpent. I’m always up for a good BG, not the biggest arena fan, but I don’t get all upset and yell when I PvP either. All in all I guess I’m just pretty laid back about things, and always trying to stay on top of the game to separate myself from most raiding hunters.

1 - Mongoose Bite
2 - Raptor Strike
3 - Wing Clip
4 - Auto Shot
5 - Hunter’s Mark

I realize how odd this probably sounds so let me do some explaining. When I first started playing I was a clicker and keyboard turner, I just threw spells up on the hot bar as I got them, so obviously melee stuff was in the first row. While I was reworking my ui when I started raiding in BC, I decided to keep it there just because I had gotten used to it, and it comes in handy to know where your melee attacks are when you find yourself in an unlucky spot. That being said, here’s where the important stuff is: my steady shot macro is bound to the F key, my pet attack is bound to my mouse wheel, a macro that burns BW and rapid fire is bound to shift-1, intimidation is bound to shift-2, my PvP trinket is bound to shift-3, my frost trap is bound to shift-4, and since my assist button is G, I made shift-G my misdirect keybind. Hope that makes SOME sense.

Tell us about yourself. Show us the man/woman behind the character. And impress us, make us laugh. Convince us we want you in our guild. If you don't take the time to sell yourself, there's no reason for us to want to take you. We've worked hard to make this a great place to raid and demand incoming candidates prove they're committed to continuing that.

Well, my name is Michael, I’m not in school, unemployed, 20 years old and basically fucking loving it. I have an active social life when school isn’t in session but otherwise I’d rather just play WoW and watch movies. I’d also love to discuss why The Dark Knight is better than any of your favorite movies. If there’s any concern about me flaking out if I decide to return to school or, god forbid, I actually find a job, I’ve already had both going on and still raided. Granted I wasn’t exactly doing -fantastic- at either, but hey, raiding comes before real life, in my humble opinion. I really do love my character quite a bit, and god only knows how many hours I’ve put into it [cough 30 exalted factions cough]. I kinda covered earlier why I would like to join Midwinter, but I'd like to add that I'd love to see Kil'Jaeden die, and boss fights hardly seem all that gratifying unless you really work for the kill, so I didn't want to find a guild that had already cleared sunwell, but considering how many guilds disband on M'uru, having downed him is a huge advantage in my mind. But I'm sure you guys already know that =p.

All that being said, I really hope this application meets your standards, and I look forward to hearing from you guys.
Dpsonroids
Guild Master

Postby Dpsonroids on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:32 am

Beldorm wrote:Character Name: Beldorm

Class: Druid

Primary Spec: Balance

Armorylite Profile:
http://armorylite.com/us/Ysera/Beldorm

UI Screenshot:

WWS Parses:
http://wowwebstats.com/ybohzu54xblai
Sorry just one from Sarth 25 a few days ago. Not a merged report but it is from a ranged dps.

Rochambeau World Champs (RWC) here on Ysera. They are a great group of folks, and I raided with them as Resto (druid) for about a year. Had the pleasure of progressing through all T5 and T6 content with them, and into a bit of SWP. I tanked vanilla WoW, healed BC, so decided it was time to try a dps spec for Wrath. Unfortunately at this time RWC is pretty heavy on DPS, and there was no permanent spot for me in the rotation. I am a very loyal and dependable raider, so it was tough for me to leave. However I really did not want to heal full time again. I wish them the best and still stay in contact with them quite frequently. Lots of friends :)

I am choosing Midwinter because you have a wonderful reputation for progression and dedication to WoW. RWC did a good job in BC, but they were not among the best. I am interested in dedicating the time and energy to be in one of the best on the server. Plus the guild name is just really cool. It is a step up from nut-kicker world champs...what can I say :D

I do a decent amount of research on EJ, moonkinrepository, restoforlife and a few other websites. As a druid it is important to take advantage of your mixed role. I try to remain flexible, (tossing a bloom on a few folks on Malygos while in the air, etc) and understand what I can do to help other classes in the raid. Of course, it is not my job to pop out of moonkin to save the tank, but a hot here and there during dps downtime sometimes helps. As moonkin my primary role is range single target or AoE DPS. Raid benefits include hit buff/debuffs, Crit/Haste Aura, Innervate, Battle Rez, and GotW. CC as required. The spell rotation for moonkin has the capability of changing significantly in Wrath. Most use the MF/SF rotation. I have been working IS, MF, SFx3 then wrath until MF is down (with MF/SF/IS glyphs). It seems to be working pretty well, but there is always room for improvement (and I am open to suggestions).

I think what sets me apart is my willingness to continually experiment and modify my perspective on dps rotations to maximize raid contribution. I love theorycrafting and those darn target dummys. I am willing to do what it takes to succeed. I am mature, dedicated, reliable and have over 3 years of raiding experience as a tank/healer/dps. I have been a raid leader for T2/T3/T4/T5 content. I understand how much work goes into organizing raids and respect those that give their time to help a guild succeed. I listen to suggestions, and keep my mouth shut when we need to focus. At the same time, I play WoW for fun so I always try to make it enjoyable.

1- Root
2-Insect Swarm
3-Moonfire
4-Wrath
5-Starfire

iFF is keybound to my T key, if it is needed in the rotation due to lack of SP in raid.

I am willing to do what it takes to succeed. I am mature, dedicated, reliable and have over 3 years of raiding experience as a tank/healer/dps. I have been a raid leader for T2/T3/T4/T5 content. I understand how much work goes into organizing raids and respect those that give their time to help a guild succeed. I listen to suggestions, and keep my mouth shut when we need to focus. At the same time, I play WoW for fun so I always try to make it enjoyable. I am 32, married with 2 kids. The wife plays wow as well, so she understands my commitment. My wife and I both went to Univ of Texas for college. Somehow my 8 year old loves Texas Tech, and my 4 year old loves A&M. WTF.

I work in the Healthcare IT industry in Houston, TX (Ike somehow beat my ass then went back to Tina Turner for round 2 it seems). It was an interesting experience. To keep raiding, I just drove to my parent's house in Dallas (4 hours or so). Best dance in the game = Moonkin. Gnome sacrifices = win. I understand it is always a risk to take on new raiders. I am ready to make a commitment to Midwinter. I look forward to the opportunity to show you all.
Dpsonroids
Guild Master

Postby Dpsonroids on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:33 am

Character Name:

Andre

Class:

Shaman

Primary Spec:

0/16/55 Restoration. My offspec is enhancement, 16/55/0.

Link to your Armory Profile:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ol&n=Andre

Since I switch a lot in between specs for dailies and raiding, I created a couple of chardev profiles for my gear:
Restoration: http://chardev.org/?template=224993
Enhancement: http://chardev.org/?template=224994

Both specs are properly gemmed for 3.2. I also got a few minor upgrades. I tried updating the chardev profiles but it's not going through for some reason.

UI Screenshot:

http://img442.imageshack.us/i/wowscrnsh ... 24307.jpg/

WWS Parses or equivalent:

We have a world of logs page, which is http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/8237/ Our guild doesn't really focus on that stuff. This is just one player (that doesn't raid with us consistently) uploading logs because he enjoys looking at them. The last 3 I can find there are:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/WDCyr5MZ3x9klVMR/
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/5jffDuI6mYsbRLEt/
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/NV5GpF0IVWkEOGOt/

Do you have an authenticator?

Yes.

Blink (Azshara)
---

My first guild, four years ago. Played with my first character, a dwarf holy priest. Progressed through MC, BWL. Guild couldn't kill Nefarian so drama installed and destroyed the guild.

Brazilian Warlords (Altar of Storms)
---

I used to play with 5 real life friends in the guild Blink. We decided to reroll horde and start a new guild. I levelled an orc warrior and became the guild's main tank and raid leader. We did quite well but, again, once we got to Nefarian, couldn't kill it and guild fell apart.

Months Behind (Mug'thol)
---

A few friends from Blink were playing in this guild. When they heard that our brazilian guild project fell apart, they told me to apply on my priest. I got accepted and played as holy, finally killed Nef. Progressed through AQ40 and Naxx with them. Didn't kill C'thun and Ouru, but got up (and no kill): Gothik, Loatheb and Patchwerk. Killed all of Spider Wing.

This is the guild I was playing during Vanilla -> TBC transition. I levelled my priest to 70 but felt quite unhappy with priest's healing power. On top of that, a couple of our tanks stopped playing and the one we currently had wasn't very good. So I decided to level a human warrior to help with the tanking aspect. Didn't take very long before I was, again, in a main tank/raid leader spot. We progressed through Gruul, Mag, SSC and TK. To make a long story short, a lot of good players left the guild because, one, it wasn't very good, two, big friction with the GM. With all my friends gone I lost a lot of my motivation to go on.

Riven (Firetree)
---

When I stopped playing my warrior, I decided to level a Shaman at the server Firetree, to play with a few friends. One of those friends was in top alliance guild Riven. One day they were short a few healers and I got a raid spot to do a TK run with them. I ended up outplaying a lot of their healers with terrible gear, which made them invite me and add me to their roster. When I was invited, they were progressing Archimonde and Gurtogg Bloodboil. I soon became one of their core raiders and killed Archimonde and Illidan with them. During Black Temple farming and waiting for Sunwell, girl drama installed and made two tanks (one was the MT and GM) angry at each other and they both quit. This obviously destroyed the guild, as many other people left as well.

Damage Networks (Mug'thol)
---

My offtank in Months Behind, a feral druid, was one of the people that left the guild to join top alliance guild Damage Networks. He heard that my guild was sort of falling apart so asked me to app. I got accepted and joined them during Felmyst progression and was present for every single first kill since then. And here's where I am now.

Why am I choosing you over them? Well, here goes.

There are two reasons I enjoy playing this game. Progress and fun. Progress comes from being in a guild with dedicated players. Fun comes from being in a guild of laid back, drama free players. When I joined this guild, back in the day, we were always within top 100 US. I think the guild's Brutallus kill was US 35th. And, I found myself very lucky because they were a group of fun individuals, with no drama. I felt quite at home.

To me, progress is very important. I like the excitement of beating a new encounter after struggling so hard. We beat M'uru after 2 months of progression and my goodness did that feel great. If I wanted to be in a guild just for friends, I would actually make a guild with real life friends and do heroics, but that is not the case. Progress is more important, and it seems like Damage Networks is falling apart. This saddens me, because of the amount of friends I have here, but I do not plan on quitting this game after all the hard work I put on my character.

A lot of fantastic players in Damage Networks have stopped playing the game. Maybe it's because our GM quit (temporarily) and a few might be bummed out. Or maybe because during initial Ulduar progression our server was so laggy it frustrated people. Whatever the reason is, it's making the guild bleed, very badly. I am not playing this game to clear regular Ulduar every week or wait until everything is nerfed. Hell, a few weeks ago we were clearing Ulduar with 23, bringing casuals in, just because we couldn't fill the roster. This is what my guild is giving me right now and it's the reason I want to leave.

I am choosing Midwinter because your name is high up there on wowprogress.com and I noticed you're in a PvE realm. I've always wanted to play in a PvE realm, so that caught my attention.

Even though I have an enhancement offspec and gear, my main role is healing and it is what I enjoy doing the most. From a healing perspective, not only do I try my best to understand my own class strenghts and weaknesses, but I also know how the other healing classes strongpoints and weakpoints. This allows me to be constantly reevaluating my role as a healer. For example, ever since Naxx/OS/Malygos, I readapted my game to more of a single target/spot healing profile rather than trying to raid heal, simply because druids and priests have been better fit for it. And I know I was going against a LOT of muscle-memory from all the chain heal spam I did in Sunwell. Now in 3.2 Chain Heal is stronger and I'm using it more, but these are just examples of my ability to situationally adapt and to be constantly recycling myself.

As Restoration
1 - Purge
2 - Riptide
3 - Lightning Bolt
4 - Chain Lightning
5 - Lesser Healing Wave

As Enhancement
1 - Purge
2 - Lava Lash
3 - Lightning Bolt
4 - Chain Lightning
5 - Lesser Healing Wave

I have Earth Shield, Riptide, Chain Heal, Cleanse Spirit and Lesser Healing Wave all bound to Clique. The only reason I also have Riptide and Lesser Healing Wave in 2, 5 respectively, is that in some situations I find it easier to use them with my self cast key, Alt.

Well, my name is Andre, I live in Campinas, which is a city in the state of São Paulo, in Brazil. I'm 28 years old. Even though english is my second language, I've been in contact with the language since I was very young and lived in Auburn, Maine, for an year as an exchange studend. So language isn't a barrier at all.

I work for IBM, doing offshore work for Sprint, which allows me to work from home. Which is very nice, since it allows me to do my dailies during work hours, provided that I'm not too busy, of course. I'm a very friendly and laid back person, whom if given the choice of going to a nightclub or grilling some steaks with friends, would choose the latter. I am a huge soccer fan and the only time I really get upset is when my soccer team loses. Ugh.

I've always enjoyed playing video games, gone from the Atari, NES, Sega, SNES, N64, Playstations 1 2, GameCube until currently my beloved Wii. I also played Counterstrike "professionally". I use quotation marks on that because the money I made from it is insignificant, but I did travel around my country playing with my team. I was regarded as a good player, and I think it's just because I've been playing games in general for such a long time. This gaming experience does help me in WoW a lot. I don't have to think much before doing something that's new to me, I guess it's the best way I can put it.

From a WoW player perspective, I don't cause drama at all. In fact, I run away from it. I follow strictly something that my dad taught me when I was a lot younger. He said "if you have nothing meaningful to say, keep quiet". I don't think much drama would exist if everyone followed this rule, right?

From a skill perspective, I've always been regarded as one of the bests in every guild that I've been, and also been regarded as a great asset. Part of it is because of my skills in this game, which I consider better than average, but most of it is due to my dedication. I am one of the most dedicated players you'll ever see, and I am very proud to say that. I haven't missed a raid in my guild in such a long time, I can't even remember. I think that in WoW dedication is much superior than skill, because the skill cap in this game is not very high and dedication makes you very close to it.

Anyway, I'm gonna stop here. It's 4am and I'm writing this application after another frustrating raid night. My frustration has developed into a "screw it, I'm just gonna write this, post it and see what happens".

I've been told before that sometimes I sound confusing even though I have no idea how, so if that happened while you were reading this application, I apologize. Definitely would be fine if I could write this in Portuguese. ;-)

Thanks for taking your time in reading my application.
Dpsonroids
Guild Master

Return to Apply to Midwinter