the good movie thread

The forum for posting pictures of cats with subtitles and other internet inanities.

Re: the good movie thread

Postby Tedium on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:26 am

Anyone seen Shrink? Good Kevin Spacey movie! Yes that's my contribution to the novels written here.
Tedium

Postby Feist on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:47 am

Michael wrote:why are they making a spinoff?

and is this series supposed to be a remake of the original or is it supposed to take place 40 years after?

Less a remake and more of a new series built upon the same basic concept, with character names and roles shared as much by way of homage as by way of any sort of actual relationship to what the characters were 20 years ago.

The BSG of now and the BSG of 20 years ago really don't have a whole lot in common beyond the premise and the names though.

They're making a spinoff because the story arc told by BSG came to an end and the producers decided that they had another good story to tell - set about 20 years earlier. Also because SyFy realized that BSG = $$$ and decided that they didn't like that the gravy train had come to an end just because the story did. So they're going to try to tell this new story. We'll see if it's any good. The pilot was promising.
Feist

Postby Cakes on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:11 am

Just kidding.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Cakes

Postby Michael on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:47 am

There's already a new bsg, called stargate: universe. They even use the term ftl instead of hyperspace, it's embarrassing. I'd be more interested in a new BSG if it took place 40 years ago during the first cylon war, and explained how everything came about instead of just summing it up in 3 lines at the start of the miniseries.

Jerry I was watching MST3K: Future Wars and there's this scene where a t-rex dies and a second t-rex walks up to his body and one of the robots said "JERRY! NOOOOOO!"

it reminded me of you.
Michael

Postby Yawkey on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:05 pm

Cakes wrote:2012.

Just kidding.

So I listen to a couple podcasts about movies that I'd like to recommend. One is called "I Love Movies" and it's pretty hilarious if you're a filmophile. Maybe it's funny even if you're not. The other podcast I like is from Slate, "Slate's Spoiler Special" is the name, I think. Anyway...Slate apparently LOVED 2012, not because it was a good movie, but because it was a fun one, apparently. And so far that's been the lone good review I've heard or seen about 2012.

But check out both podcasts. They're good.
Yawkey

Postby Yawkey on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:07 pm

Michael wrote:co-wrote life aquatic

Oops, right. I think I meant to write "wrote Life Aquatic" but even then I'd have been wrong. :lol:
Yawkey

Postby Tedium on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:20 pm

I'm not sure if people were expecting a realistic, down to earth epic movie or not but I personally enjoyed it. It was an entertaining, visually pleasing movie. The acting was fine, cheesy, but that was the idea behind it, and the humor was the same. I really think it was meant to be a more fun and entertaining movie vs a freaky, real type movie. If you go in expecting it, you'll be disappointed.
Tedium

Postby Feist on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:52 pm

Michael wrote:There's already a new bsg, called stargate: universe. They even use the term ftl instead of hyperspace, it's embarrassing. I'd be more interested in a new BSG if it took place 40 years ago during the first cylon war, and explained how everything came about instead of just summing it up in 3 lines at the start of the miniseries.

That's kinda what Caprica is. It's set 50 years prior to the events of the series, and focuses on the invention of the Cylons, their integration in society prior to the first war, the resistance to the idea of robotic people, etc. etc. I'm pretty intrigued by it personally.
Feist

Postby Michael on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:42 pm

Tedium wrote:I'm not sure if people were expecting a realistic, down to earth epic movie or not but I personally enjoyed it. It was an entertaining, visually pleasing movie. The acting was fine, cheesy, but that was the idea behind it, and the humor was the same. I really think it was meant to be a more fun and entertaining movie vs a freaky, real type movie. If you go in expecting it, you'll be disappointed.

are you talking about 2012? The most accurate line I've heard describe the film was from filmschoolrejects.com:
You know how movies with ticking bombs almost always have the climactic scene where the good guys work feverishly to disarm the explosives before they detonate? They’re sweating and frantic, the music is pumping, the countdown clock is only a second or two away from zero, and… they deactivate the bomb right before it would have exploded. Timer stops at 00:00:01. Everybody breathes a sigh of relief. The end.

Roland Emmerich’s 2012 is twenty-seven of those scenes stretched across two and a half hours.

and feist, you said it was 20 years in the past! now it makes more sense.

Feist wrote:They're making a spinoff because the story arc told by BSG came to an end and the producers decided that they had another good story to tell - set about 20 years earlier.
Michael

Postby Feist on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:54 pm

Michael wrote:and feist, you said it was 20 years in the past! now it makes more sense.
[/quote]

20, 50, history is history. :P
Feist

Postby Sammson on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:44 pm

Cakes wrote:2012.

As a glutton for good story, I cannot wait to see this movie.

Cakes wrote:
Just kidding.
Sammson

Postby Michael on Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:37 am

where does bsg: razor come into play?

Also, is there anything I missed between the miniseries and the first episode "33"? Seems like there's...a lot missing
Michael

Postby Feist on Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:59 am

Michael wrote:where does bsg: razor come into play?

Razor aired on TV between Seasons 3 and 4. That's as good a time as any to watch it.

Also, is there anything I missed between the miniseries and the first episode "33"? Seems like there's...a lot missing

Huh? 33 happens like... A week after the miniseries ends. Literally.
Feist

Postby Michael on Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:18 am

suddenly the cylons are chasing them [even though in the miniseries the cylons said they didn't know how to] and it's been like 4 days [without sleep] since they started. They could have explained a bit there, or gone back to when the cylons started chasing them and go from there.
Michael

Postby Feist on Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:26 am

Michael wrote:suddenly the cylons are chasing them [even though in the miniseries the cylons said they didn't know how to] and it's been like 4 days [without sleep] since they started. They could have explained a bit there, or gone back to when the cylons started chasing them and go from there.

At the end of the miniseries, the Cylons held their little war council and decide to pursue the fleet. Once the caught them, it became a series of jumps every 30 minutes just to stay ahead of the cylons, which in turn led to the fleet being full of insomniacs for a week.
Feist

Postby Michael on Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:49 am

yeah but how did the cylons even know where they were going?
Michael

Postby Feist on Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:12 am

Michael wrote:yeah but how did the cylons even know where they were going?

It's implied that they were tracking the Olympic Carrier. That's the whole premise of that episode really.
Feist

Postby Michael on Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:22 am

Yeah, I figured as much after watching it, I just thought there was more to it. I wished, actually.
Michael

Postby Feist on Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:06 am

Michael wrote:Yeah, I figured as much after watching it, I just thought there was more to it. I wished, actually.

Watch more then. :)
Feist

Postby Lherin on Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:32 am

Michael wrote:There's already a new bsg, called stargate: universe. They even use the term ftl instead of hyperspace, it's embarrassing. I'd be more interested in a new BSG if it took place 40 years ago during the first cylon war, and explained how everything came about instead of just summing it up in 3 lines at the start of the miniseries.

Jerry I was watching MST3K: Future Wars and there's this scene where a t-rex dies and a second t-rex walks up to his body and one of the robots said "JERRY! NOOOOOO!"

it reminded me of you.

That's because it is FTL. They are on a ship that's very very very old and hyperspace travel hadn't been invented yet. Hyperspace exists in the stargate universe, and that ship isn't using it.
Lherin

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever