the good movie thread

The forum for posting pictures of cats with subtitles and other internet inanities.

Re: the good movie thread

Postby Sammson on Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:43 am

I thought this was the "Good Movie" thread.
Sammson

Postby Michael on Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:59 am

television can be for good with film
Michael

Postby Cakes on Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:12 am

Saw Elling the other day, pretty decent foreign comedy.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Cakes

Postby Sammson on Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:42 pm

Michael wrote:television can be for good with film

Sorry, say that again?
Sammson

Postby Michael on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:04 pm

a good tv show can be better than any mediocre movie, I think tv shows can be mentioned here.

Hurt Locker comes out on dvd jan. 12th, helllllz yeah! District 9 on december 22nd.
Michael

Postby Malrik on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:24 pm

Malrik

Postby Lherin on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:48 pm

Dude. You can't say that shit in public. There's going to be 2 billion teenage girls that are going to show up at your house now and do violent things to you.
Lherin

Postby Benihime on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:32 pm

As long as they are sexy violent things I doubt he'll mind.
"Riding the Wave is Skeith, the Shadow of Death, to drown all that stands."
-Epitaph of Twilight
Benihime

Postby Sammson on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:28 am

Invictus does look badass. Morgan Freeman looks just like Mandella, too.

So I haven't actually seen a movie in theaters since June 2008 when I saw The Dark Knight. (Twice in two days, I might add!) So I'm anxiously hunting for something with balls to take a look-see after this December 3rd when classes end and my student film is released.

Some movies I might actually take a trip to the theaters to see so far: The Blindside and Precious.

The Blindside has earned quite a few remarkable reviews. As someone who doesn't care much for Sandra Bullock, I'm a little shocked, if not just questioning the reviews as usual.

But Precious has knocked the teeth out of everyone who thought it was just be another black entertainment/oprah/perry shenanigan. Every review I've read and heard firsthand has said it is a simply beautiful, stunning, and painfully brutal movie. Even Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 91%.

91%?!

To put that in perspective for those who may not know the strictness of Tomatoes' grading, some recent Best Picture Oscar winners: Slumdog Millionaire - 93%, No Country for Old Men - 94%, The Departed - 92%, (and just for fun, The Dark Knight - 94%).

So, I really want to see it!

Is anyone going to see Avatar? Potential anti-war plug + big-budget Star Warsian graphics + men turning into blue giraffepeople looks like it = bad. I don't really like James Cameron, either, and he kind of annoyed me on Sixty Minutes tonight.
Sammson

Postby Michael on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:45 am

Blindside seems like you're very typical sob story, such things always get good reviews people it makes people cry.
Michael

Postby Sammson on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:00 am

Michael wrote:Blindside seems like you're very typical sob story, such things always get good reviews people it makes people cry.

This is why I'm just like "meh." It looks like Friday Night Lights meets Radio meets Edward Scissorhands. I will probably see it just to see it.
Sammson

Postby Sammson on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:01 am

Sammson wrote: I will probably see it just to see it.

Wait, no I won't. I don't do that. I never do that. I even said I don't do that.

I need to sleep.

Michael, if/when you make it as a director, don't produce. Never. For any reason. If you're dedicated to the story, FIND someone to produce it for you. Fuck producing.
Sammson

Postby Malrik on Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:05 am

Precious does look like a pretty great movie.

And I'm going to go see Avatar just because I love James Cameron. I have a sneaking suspicion the movie will end up being lame (despite the special effects and the epic nature of it, and the fact that apparently Cameron's been planning this film forever), but I'm perfectly willing to risk it.
Malrik

Postby Michael on Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:48 am

I don't think I'd mind producing, I have no artistic integrity. I want to join the movie industry because it's something I can do, and there's money in it.

And malrik, I can already tell avatar is going to be disappointing, because you watch the trailer and see every single key plot point. It will be fun to see for the effects, but that's as far as the movie will go. That's all james cameron does, take advantage of situations. Titanic = raking in that teenage girl money (TWILIGHT), Aliens = a sequal to a hit, terminator = mildly creative. mildly.
Michael

Postby Cakes on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:50 am

Michael wrote:And malrik, I can already tell avatar is going to be disappointing, because you watch the trailer and see every single key plot point.

This is what I told a friend tonight: "I'm on the fence about Avatar. I think it looks impressive, but I'm afraid that I saw everything I needed to see in the trailer." Get out of my head.

Edit: Also, back on topic, on a Coen brothers kick. Watching Miller's Crossing at the moment, really enjoying it so far.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Cakes

Postby Sammson on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:33 am

Michael wrote:I don't think I'd mind producing, I have no artistic integrity. I want to join the movie industry because it's something I can do, and there's money in it.

Have you ever produced a short film? It can be so incredibly rewarding but so fucking painful. Especially on a squeezed budget.

I bet in Hollywood with 250 million dollars (Avatar is even more than that) producing is a lot more fun: Hire a casting director and make him rope in big name stares; Hire a director and tell him what to do; Hire a camera crew and tell the director to tell them what to do; Hire a set crew and tell the gaffer, cinematographer, director of photography, and assistant director (all of which you hired) to tell the set crew what to do; Sleep; Hire more people; Sell your movie before it's even in production so you make all of your $250 mil back and then rake in the ticket sales.

Movie turns out to be a dud? Then be an executive producer like Jerry Bruckheimer or Edward Allen Bernero and make 1,267,023 pictures a year and fifty television shows so it is IMPOSSIBLE to not make money.

:D
Sammson

Postby Jelly on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:23 am

Revai wrote:TWILIGHT: NEW MOON
OMFG GO TEAM EDWARD!!!1!111!ONE

Nah jk, it sucked.

TEAM JACOB FRIEND!
Jelly

Postby Spence on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:33 am

Precious is an extremely powerful film. But be warned, it will beat the hell out of you emotionally. I definitely wasn't expecting it to be so good, or so draining.
Spence

Postby Iruga on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:13 pm

Jelly wrote:
Revai wrote:TWILIGHT: NEW MOON
OMFG GO TEAM EDWARD!!!1!111!ONE

Nah jk, it sucked.

TEAM JACOB FRIEND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaTq95CY ... r_embedded
Iruga

Postby Michael on Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:59 pm