the good movie thread

The forum for posting pictures of cats with subtitles and other internet inanities.

Re: the good movie thread

Postby Michael on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:47 pm

Cakes wrote:
Michael wrote:in fact, I'm gonna take a guess at what's wrong with it. Confirm/deny, jerry:

Spoiler: show
The whole story with penelope cruz and cameron diaz is profoundly stupid, and they're going for the effect of the wives of goodfellas but it ends up being like an episode of jersey wives. Brad Pitt's character is probably really one sided and totally worthless, like an angel/devil on the shoulder. Then the overall plot spirals into "if you do bad, bad things will happen." Lets just put the icing on the cake and say the ending is really generic as well?

Wrong about Cameron Diaz, kinda right about Penelope Cruz. Brad Pitt's character is pretty spot on. The plot summary is fairly spot on, but that's true of almost all of Cormac McCarthy's stuff. The ending is fairly generic. It's just odd, overall. In some scenes, you get that vibe of well-written, intellectual conversations and in others, it's just verbal vomit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y932_swJhWQ
Michael

Postby Psamtik on Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:53 am

I finally got around to watching Linklater's Before Midnight, and while there's absolutely no reason to watch it if you haven't seen Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, it's pretty fantastic - it's been a pleasure to watch Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy inhabit these roles in real-time, reconvening every nine years (since 1995!), so much so that it's become easy to believe that they're less acting their parts than they are (for those two weeks of shooting, anyway) living them. As always, it feels so effortless, and so damned authentic, that I'm already crossing my fingers for another one in 2022.

Your mileage may vary, of course, depending on your tolerance for films in which two people spend two hours talking to one another.
Psamtik

Postby Cakes on Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:49 pm

Psamtik wrote:I finally got around to watching Linklater's Before Midnight, and while there's absolutely no reason to watch it if you haven't seen Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, it's pretty fantastic - it's been a pleasure to watch Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy inhabit these roles in real-time, reconvening every nine years (since 1995!), so much so that it's become easy to believe that they're less acting their parts than they are (for those two weeks of shooting, anyway) living them. As always, it feels so effortless, and so damned authentic, that I'm already crossing my fingers for another one in 2022.

Your mileage may vary, of course, depending on your tolerance for films in which two people spend two hours talking to one another.

I'll have to take a look at the series. I read a bit about "Before Midnight" when it was coming out, and in turn read a bit about the other two films. I really like the premise of these types of films, like the Up Series of films from Michael Apted.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Cakes

Postby Cactipete on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:02 am

Thor: The Dark World...

was awesome. A lot of fighting, and just about everything you can expect from the movie. When the movie is over, make sure you stay for both after credit scenes, there are two.
Cactipete

Postby Jhiggy on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:32 am

Has anyone been watching Almost Human or Brooklyn Nine-Nine? Was wondering if either was worth watching.
Jhiggy

Postby Xonk on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:48 am

Brooklyn 9-9 is hilarious. Havent seen almost human

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2
Xonk

Postby Cactipete on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:08 pm

Jhiggy wrote:Has anyone been watching Almost Human or Brooklyn Nine-Nine? Was wondering if either was worth watching.

This is the good movie thread you bastard, not the good show thread.
Cactipete

Postby Vigilate on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:21 pm

Jhiggy wrote:Has anyone been watching Almost Human or Brooklyn Nine-Nine? Was wondering if either was worth watching.

I've enjoyed the first two episodes of Almost Human so far. It kind of reminds me of Fringe before Fringe decided to jump the shark with the alternate dimension crap. Granted, the major networks don't have the best track records with scifi series. I'm still angry about Terra Nova, a show which had a great premise, was effectively turned into this half family drama/half hippy feel good environmentalist show. FFS, they never even killed a dinosaur.
Pain is an illusion of the senses, despair an illusion of the mind.
Vigilate

Postby Euphonious on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:46 pm

Don't worry jhiggy, if those shows don't work out Hunger Games: Catching Fire is out. I guess the best way to describe it would be to think of your all time favorite movie, then make it two times better and you have hunger games part 2.
Euphonious
Councilor

Postby Michael on Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:50 pm

Fringe didn't jump the shark with alternate dimensions, they jumped the SECOND they connected through that stupid tunnel. In an instant, the show took a turn away from its x-files mystery and grittiness and went spiraling into "wat"

but yes, brooklyn 99 is typical andy samburg humor. If you like him, you'll like the show, if not you will get sick of it quick. I haven't watched almost human yet but it's on my desktop because I pirate television LIKE A CRIMINAL
Michael

Postby Cactipete on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Mike I am extremely disappointed in you.
Cactipete

Postby Ryethe on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:34 pm

I still liked Fringe through to the end but it failed as a show because you essentially had to read a bunch of wikis to understand why things happened and how it all fit together. Though the story once I understood was cool it was way too convoluted and poorly told in the show itself.

my biggest jump the shark moment to this day still remains when in BSG
Starbuck comes back
Ryethe
Councilor

Postby Michael on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:38 pm

Ryethe wrote:I still liked Fringe through to the end but it failed as a show because you essentially had to read a bunch of wikis to understand why things happened and how it all fit together. Though the story once I understood was cool it was way too convoluted and poorly told in the show itself.

my biggest jump the shark moment to this day still remains when in BSG
Starbuck comes back

another show that requires extracurricular reading. It's not her, it's the goddess aurora. Mind = blown.
Michael

Postby Cakes on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Neither Fringe nor BSG finished on a good note, and Fringe got particularly zany very quickly. But, this is the good MOVIE thread. And the last good movie I saw was "12 Years a Slave." Fassbender is particularly great, Ejiofor is awesome as well. There are some particularly grueling scenes, of course, but my favorite is one in which Ejiofor looks around pleadingly, and then directly at the camera, almost asking the viewer to help him. Really quite good.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Cakes

Postby Cactipete on Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:29 pm

All you faggots who talk about shows in the movie thread should get fucked by a goat via horns.
Cactipete

Postby Michael on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:02 pm

Cakes wrote:Neither Fringe nor BSG finished on a good note, and Fringe got particularly zany very quickly. But, this is the good MOVIE thread. And the last good movie I saw was "12 Years a Slave." Fassbender is particularly great, Ejiofor is awesome as well. There are some particularly grueling scenes, of course, but my favorite is one in which Ejiofor looks around pleadingly, and then directly at the camera, almost asking the viewer to help him. Really quite good.

It was good but holy fucking shit. It's basically like "yeah this dude had a nice life, then he got kidnapped and beaten every day for 12 years and saw a bunch of people die. Then he went home and got beaten every day by other people and when he died people peed on his face." I left the movie theater saying "holy shit I don't think there was a single happy thing in that movie. Which, I suppose, is the point. It's slavery. But honestly, if you don't want to be filled with white guilt for 2 days after watching it you pretty much have to go home and watch django unchained.
Michael

Re: Re: the good movie thread

Postby Ryethe on Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:54 pm

Euphonious wrote:Don't worry jhiggy, if those shows don't work out Hunger Games: Catching Fire is out. I guess the best way to describe it would be to think of your all time favorite movie, then make it two times better and you have hunger games part 2.

I'm allowed to have a few faggoty things in my life and this series is definitely one of them.

Loved the movie. Picked up most of the key moments and themes from the book. I do feel like part 1 of the next one will be a bore fest just like with most part 1s in this latest split movie trend.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
Ryethe
Councilor

Postby Cakes on Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:32 am

I was dragged to see the Catching Fire by my girlfriend, who's sat through plenty of movies that she probably didn't want to for me, and I think I keep seeing a different movie than everyone else is. Everyone seemed head over heels for the first one, and that seemed disappointing. This one just seemed average. Is there something I'm missing? The only actor I enjoy seeing is Stanley Tucci, which is disappointing for the caliber of people they have in it.
Cakes

Postby Dpsonroids on Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:49 am

Cakes wrote:by my girlfriend

Dpsonroids
Guild Master

Postby Purplemonger on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:04 am

Cakes wrote:I was dragged to see the Catching Fire by my girlfriend, who's sat through plenty of movies that she probably didn't want to for me, and I think I keep seeing a different movie than everyone else is. Everyone seemed head over heels for the first one, and that seemed disappointing. This one just seemed average. Is there something I'm missing? The only actor I enjoy seeing is Stanley Tucci, which is disappointing for the caliber of people they have in it.

It's emotionally gripping for anyone under 24 who hasn't experienced life.
Purplemonger

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever