the good movie thread

The forum for posting pictures of cats with subtitles and other internet inanities.

Re: the good movie thread

Postby gwystyl on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:36 am

Purplemonger wrote:It's emotionally gripping for anyone under 24 who hasn't experienced life.

Life is overrated.
gwystyl

Postby Cakes on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:57 pm

Dpsonroids wrote:
Cakes wrote:by my girlfriend

Shit is rough, nowadays. I told her I was going to play some DnD this week with some friends, and she said that was cool and she'd bring over food for us. Jesus, leave me be!
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Cakes

Postby Michael on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:38 pm

Cakes wrote:
Dpsonroids wrote:
Cakes wrote:by my girlfriend

Shit is rough, nowadays. I told her I was going to play some DnD this week with some friends, and she said that was cool and she'd bring over food for us. Jesus, leave me be!

room for one more? in your relationship, that is
Michael

Postby Psamtik on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:35 pm

I've admittedly only seen Hunger Games in the context of a RiffTrax commentary (after all these years, those guys will still get me to watch anything), but I was in wide-eyed this-can't-possibly-be-the-actual-movie shock from the "Tracker Jacker" scene on. And yes, that's after the Woody Harrelson and "girl on fire" scenes, so I was showing considerable (Herculean?) restraint.
Psamtik

Postby Purplemonger on Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:23 am

Psamtik wrote:I've admittedly only seen Hunger Games in the context of a RiffTrax commentary (after all these years, those guys will still get me to watch anything), but I was in wide-eyed this-can't-possibly-be-the-actual-movie shock from the "Tracker Jacker" scene on. And yes, that's after the Woody Harrelson and "girl on fire" scenes, so I was showing considerable (Herculean?) restraint.

So...did you like it?
Purplemonger

Postby Psamtik on Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:45 am

I'd say that my reaction was more apathetic than antipathetic, but nah - definitely didn't like it.
Psamtik

Postby Gondlem on Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:42 am

I think Hunger Games as a concept is kinda okay. It's not super new or anything but it's a pretty decent story. Haven't read the books but the first film felt like a lot of shit was missing from it and it really pussyfooted around what is ultimately a fairly horrifying story and it felt way too sanitized to take it that seriously.

Second film is better I think, overall pretty decent. Never going to be a favourite but it's every bit as watchable as something like Harry Potter to me.

But yeah it felt like there was a lot of stuff to cover and a lot of it felt like it was kinda rushed and might have been more interesting to follow with book knowledge.
Gondlem
Councilor

Postby Michael on Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:02 am

Did you just compare harry potter to the hunger games? Theres a difference between a story meant for all ages (potter) and a story dumbed down to the lowest common denominator (HUNGAR GAME)
Michael

Postby Gondlem on Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:32 am

They're obviously not the same but they're similar in demographic orientation and genre, I think. Both young adult fiction, coming of age narratives with a fantasy/sci fi setting and tinges of violence but nothing too horrifying. I do think Harry Potter is a little better, but then I also read those books.

And I dunno, I saw Hunger Games last night (admittedly it was a bit of a late showing at like 10pm) and the average age of the audience was probably like 40, no kids at all.
Gondlem
Councilor

Postby Ryethe on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:06 am

I could see them dumbing things down in the 3rd/4th movie but the ending to the 3rd book (and more than a few events within it) are pretty depressing, certainly more severe than most of the events of Harry Potter. However they have sanitized various things from the books at least visually so I'm not sure how things look to someone purely watching the movies.

Wrt to the first movie vs the first book there's definitely a longer bit of helplessness involved during the games portion (she basically nearly dies of dehydration before she starts figuring things out) but overall the games portion didn't feel much different. There was a bit more time at the start for backstory in District 12 which was pretty cool. The uprising part didn't happen at all in the book and Katniss is pretty much oblivious to what she started until they start touring the districts in book 2. The books are a first person perspective so all the side stuff in the movie (like Snow's various conversations with people) don't happen at all in the book. In fact in the books I think you meet Snow all of maybe 3 times. He's definitely played up in the movies.

I'm hoping they do go into the back stories of some of the characters more in the next movie as some of them like Haymich and Finnick I found especially interesting.
Ryethe
Councilor

Postby Spazzo on Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:23 am

Having read both HP and Hunger Games novels, their films do not do them justice.

I didn't like the first Hunger Games film as a lot of shit was dumbed down, and this one is no exception but I thought it was far more enjoyable than the first.

At the end of the day, its worth seeing at least once, theater or not.
"kill the rogue class more. gg nice idea. Will see, they will nerf more the most lowest played and worst class... i bet they will nerf combat too, becuse is no viable...roguee-s only need little dmg and mobilty" -Deen10

Xonk fanboy
Spazzo

Postby Cakes on Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:06 pm

Saw Out of the Furnace last night. Reminded me a lot of High Times. I'm not sure it's as solid overall, but there are some really solid performances from Casey Affleck, Bale, and Harrelson. Harrelson just has a knack for scumbag villians.

Edit: Going to be dragged to Smaug this weekend, instead of American Hustle. Apparently reserving half the screens in the theater for the Hobbit wasn't quite enough.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Cakes

Postby Andre on Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:54 am

Didn't care for the Hobbit.

Nothing happens in the first 90 minutes and then you get a movie that has no ending. I am aware that there will be a sequel but come on, wrap shit up a little bit.

This is what really annoys me about trilogies. The second movie almost always starts from nowhere and ends nowhere.

For me the highlight of the film is still Martin Freeman. Had sort of a smaller role in this filme but he nails every scene. The dude is fucking amazing.
Andre

Postby Michael on Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:16 pm

Andre wrote:Had sort of a smaller role in this film

hahahaha I get it
Michael

Postby Michael on Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:59 pm

Anchorman 2: Not as good as the first, still fucking hilarious.

Really suffered a lot from trying to have a coherent plot, and returning to old jokes. I think they kind of misunderstood that the randomness of it made the first one so special. It also had a more "adult" tone to it, in that it had a lot more vulgar expletives. The first one was just him saying stuff like "by odins beard" whereas this is more "holy shit".

That said, I kinda had to pee when I went into the movie, and I was in GREAT danger of losing control in the first 30-45 minutes of the movie. The rest is still funny but only as much as an average comedy.

I saw it late last night so I'm dragging ass through work today but every now and then I'll remember a great one-liner that just makes me crack up

"Your mother says you and I aren't bonding enough. Can you believe that bullshit?"
Michael

Postby Guthix on Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:55 pm

Michael wrote:Anchorman 2: Not as good as the first, still fucking hilarious."

Guthix

Postby Xandrellas on Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:25 pm

Michael wrote:Anchorman 2: Not as good as the first, still fucking hilarious.

Really suffered a lot from trying to have a coherent plot, and returning to old jokes. I think they kind of misunderstood that the randomness of it made the first one so special. It also had a more "adult" tone to it, in that it had a lot more vulgar expletives. The first one was just him saying stuff like "by odins beard" whereas this is more "holy shit".

That said, I kinda had to pee when I went into the movie, and I was in GREAT danger of losing control in the first 30-45 minutes of the movie. The rest is still funny but only as much as an average comedy.

I saw it late last night so I'm dragging ass through work today but every now and then I'll remember a great one-liner that just makes me crack up

"Your mother says you and I aren't bonding enough. Can you believe that bullshit?"

The dinner scene had me coughing from laughing so hard. Enjoyed it. Super random movie w/the vignettes and all but w/e I had a good time
Xandrellas

Postby Feist on Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:59 pm

American Hustle.

See it. Now. Go. Really.
Feist

Postby Cakes on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:02 pm

I was holding off on doing this until I had a chance to see a few more movies on my to see list, but it's apparent that the theater near me is never going to bring all the films I'd like to see, so here's my 2013 Top Ten List, in no particular order. If I had to pick my absolute favorite film of the year, it would be Prisoners.

Side Effects
The Place Beyond the Pines
Mud
Blue Jasmine
The World's End
Prisoners
Rush
Gravity
The Wolf of Wall Street
12 years a slave

Wolf of Wall Street is too long by at least 30 minutes, but still better than Shutter Island. Really solid performances out of the supporting cast, and, of course, DiCaprio is damn good.

Haven't seen yet but I think could be on the list (sucks that this list is almost as long as the other one):
Fruitvale Station
American Hustle
The Act of Killing
Dallas Buyer's Club
Nebraska
Inside Llewyn Davis
August: Osage County
All is lost
Lone Survivor
Cakes

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever