the good movie thread

The forum for posting pictures of cats with subtitles and other internet inanities.

Re: the good movie thread

Postby Michael on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:23 pm

Looking at your list and looking at the movies I saw in theaters was depressing. I really didn't see many "critically acclaimed" movies, and I keep telling people how shitty 2013 was for movies.

My favorites from the last year:
zero dark thirty (yeah it came out like december 31st 2012, still counts) (probably my favorite from the whole year, too)
man of steel (come at me)
Prisoners
Elysium
This is the End
12 years a slave
American Hustle I guess.

The trouble I have with the whole year is that every movie was a let down in some way (with the exception of zero dark thirty). I have very realistic expectations but they were just..not met in a couple ways.
- Man of Steel
Spoiler: show
killed zod
. In the comics, the only hero that ever kills anyone is Wonder Woman, and that act was brought up in every issue of every comic for about 5 years. It was a big fucking deal. I feel like that right should've been reserved for her in the movies, and only if they have a couple of generic ones first (marvel is doing it right).
- Elysium was good, it just wasn't great. I can't really put my finger on what was missing, and maybe I just need to watch it again, but there was something missing from it. Maybe it was the girl being used as a hostage, and her whole story, maybe it was the semi deus ex ending, I dunno.
- Prisoners was fucking fantastic but the ending should've been definitive. I already ranted about that.
- This is the End is a fantastic comedy, the only thing I actually didn't like was having the backstreet boys in it. Ending a comedy is a very difficult thing to do right. Some of the comedy hall of famers even phone it in, like blazing saddles and monty python.
- 12 years a slave was honestly too dark to be a really great movie. The guilt I felt after leaving was pretty incomparable.
- American Hustle was like 2 hours of people talking, then the ending showed that there WAS actually a plot, then it ended. I wish they had edited it to be more coherent.

I didn't see Mud or Dallas Buyers Club because I just genuinely dislike matthew mcconaughey and I don't have any interest in seeing his face in a movie. It's part of the reason I haven't seen wolf of wall street yet.

I'll probably bitch about other movies later as I see them. Still need to see the hobbit, walter mitty, and WoWS
Michael

Postby Andre on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:02 pm

man of steel was stool
Andre

Postby Michael on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:04 pm

your mom's stool
Michael

Postby Cakes on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:20 pm

Wolf of Wall Street is worth seeing just for the palsy scene. Mcconaughey's part is really small, but awesome.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Cakes

Postby Andre on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:32 pm

Michael wrote:your mom's stool

if it makes you feel better, i thought pacific rim was awesome, so i too have my guilty pleasure
Andre

Postby Michael on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Andre wrote:

if it makes you feel better, i thought pacific rim was awesome, so i too have my guilty pleasure

I wouldn't say it's a guilty pleasure. I liked pacific rim, too, but it was a bad movie at heart. I think man of steel was a good movie at heart. Not a great one, but good. I absolutely adored it, everyone else hates it.
Michael

Postby Andre on Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:17 pm

Michael wrote:
Andre wrote:

I wouldn't say it's a guilty pleasure. I liked pacific rim, too, but it was a bad movie at heart. I think man of steel was a good movie at heart. Not a great one, but good. I absolutely adored it, everyone else hates it.

dude at the beginning of the movie everyone in krypton is about to die but they "punish" the guy who tried to coup the place (yea let's coup a dying planet, that is useful) by making him live

the beginning sets the tone of bad writing quite well and it never got better. when that flying bug showed up i wanted to just leave the theater

action sequences reminded me of transformers too, my god those were bad
Andre

Postby Michael on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:07 pm

I didn't mind the action sequences. The rest of your points are valid. There are plenty of things I don't like about man of steel, but in my mind the pros outweigh the cons because the cons are only mild annoyances. You wouldn't even know most of them if you didn't know much about the comics.

I do not, however, feel at all confident in the batman/superman movie. I don't care about affleck as batman, I care about that walking twig as wonder woman. I'm not saying she needs an hourglass figure, I'm saying she needs about 60+ extra pounds of muscle because wonder woman is a fucking beast. I also think they're going to absolutely shit down the throat of her character, because most of the people that even write her comics don't get who she is. Green Lantern, as bad as the movie was, stayed fairly true to the story of hal jordan. The nolan batman trilogy made batman real again, and man of steel showed how much of a destructive force he can be when he's unchecked. Adding wonder woman into the movie is gonna be like "LOL YOU CAN'T LIFT THAT LOG UR A GIRL1! OMG SHE DID IT SHE IS MY WAIFU"

I'm getting off on a tangent, I forgot my original point..something about chipotle being delicious. America.
Michael

Postby Dpsonroids on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:08 pm

Cakes wrote:Wolf of Wall Street is worth seeing just for the palsy scene. Mcconaughey's part is really small, but awesome.

Just saw this one last night, exactly my thoughts.
Dpsonroids
Guild Master

Postby Xonk on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:13 pm

Dpsonroids wrote:
Cakes wrote:Wolf of Wall Street is worth seeing just for the palsy scene. Mcconaughey's part is really small, but awesome.

Just saw this one last night, exactly my thoughts.

"I'll tell you what: I'm never eating at Benihana again. I don't care whose fuckin' birthday it is."
Xonk

Postby Michael on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:20 am

I went out tonight and saw it after everyone's recommendation. It was fucking amazing. I agree it ran a bit long but mostly because I was between two strangers with my coat on and I was sweating bullets. The pacing was perfect, and the dialogue felt like a tarantino/scorsese hybrid. Best crime biography since goodfellas, definitely.
Michael

Postby Feist on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:47 am

Best part of McConaughey's cameo in Wolf of Wall Street is that the primary joke of his role is yanked out of a Fresh Air interview he did last year: http://www.npr.org/2013/04/23/178443816 ... ious-again - Jump to about 5:45 and listen through the 9 minute mark for it.
Feist

Postby Feist on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:06 pm

Feist

Postby Cakes on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:05 pm

American Hustle is good shit. Each actor was damn good in their own right and it's just really solid, honest filmmaking. I've really enjoyed his past 3 films.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Cakes

Postby Psamtik on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:19 pm

2013 was a great film year, probably in the running for the best since 2007 (that one-two punch of No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood):

Before Midnight (my favorite film of the year, by far)
Blackfish, Act of Killing, Nymphomaniac, The Spectacular Now, Blue is the Warmest Color, Ain't Them Bodies Saints, Spring Breakers, The Bling Ring, Prisoners, John Dies at the End, Fruitvale Station, Captain Philips, 12 Years A Slave, Stoker, Upstream Color, Inside Llewyn Davis, Her, Blue Jasmine, Side Effects, Philomena, Wolf of Wall Street, Mud, Frances Ha, Only God Forgives, and I'm forgetting plenty.
Psamtik

Postby Michael on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:55 pm

I saw captain phillips speak and met him, he hated the movie and he's got a below average IQ. The movie was well acted but really poorly put together.

Upstream color was 90 minutes of nonsense, it was like the last 20 minutes of 2001: a space odyssey that just never ended. I loved Primer but this movie sucked.

I read that blue is the warmest color was so insulting to lesbian culture that I decided not to watch it.

Spring Breakers was like..an elaborate troll. People were saying OH MAN THIS MOVIES SO GOOD, so I watched it. It was such an assault on my intelligence I actually went and read a book afterwards to remind me what quality really is.

12 years a slave was good, but so depressing I don't think I'll ever watch it again.

Kinoshi told me what happens in Her. I laughed really hard, but that's not the intention of the movie, so...I think that movie failed.

Only God Forgives was complicated. I love love love the pusher trilogy and drive, but I'm not some die-hard refn fan that thinks he shits gold. I was excited for only god forgives but it was too simplistic and primal. Primal's not bad, but simple is.
Michael

Postby Psamtik on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:50 am

I'm quite alright with differing on a few things - I wasn't crazy about Upstream, but didn't hate it, and with respect to Spring Breakers, while it's assuredly not SO GOOD, I thought it a solid entry into the oft-ignored "young people are fucking awful" canon (and John Waters has my back on that). I think that you're missing out a bit, giving Her and Blue is the Warmest Color a pass, but understand your reasons regarding the latter.

Truth be told, I didn't find 12 Years a Slave as difficult as I'd expected - in terms of portraying the violence, the debasement, and the inhumanity of slavery, it actually felt a little soft compared to more lurid (and deeply problematic) works like 1971's Addio Zio Tom/Goodbye Uncle Tom, and I hated the intrusive soundtrack. I'm not in the Armond White camp by any stretch, but I thought it a shame that a film so exceptionally well-acted, and so gorgeously shot, could at times feel so milquetoast. That, and I didn't completely buy the Lady Macbeth character in the second act (though I'll gladly admit defeat on that if it's an accurate reflection of Northup's experience).
Psamtik

Postby Dpsonroids on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:24 pm

If you haven't yet, watch Batman: The Dark Knight Returns part 1 and 2, two animated batman movies featuring an old 55 year old Bruce Wayne coming out of retirement because Gotham went to shit. They are fucking amazing.
Dpsonroids
Guild Master

Postby Psamtik on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:40 am

Ah, the adaptation of the 1986 comic book miniseries, back before Frank Miller became a (completely) crazy person. It's good!
Psamtik

Postby Michael on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:16 am

Psamtik wrote:Ah, the adaptation of the 1986 comic book miniseries, back before Frank Miller became a (completely) crazy person. It's good!

I'd say the comic's better but it's pretty much verbatim from the comic. both are great
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever