the good movie thread

The forum for posting pictures of cats with subtitles and other internet inanities.

Re: the good movie thread

Postby Iruga on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:20 pm

Michael wrote:I want to work with kevin smith someday

Clerks 3: Mikeal and Iruga

Think it'll work?
Iruga

Postby Michael on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:39 pm

he'll make it work
Michael

Postby Michael on Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:19 am

sammson I have a good idea for a scifi movie you should write under my direction. text me or some shit.
Michael

Postby Sammson on Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:25 am

You have my number.
Sammson

Postby Michael on Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:49 am

so I think the best place to watch razor might be between season 2 and 3. Caprica sharon is on board, they haven't gone to new caprica yet, that's the only place in the show where that could take place.
Michael

Postby Sammson on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:49 pm

Mikeal, you know that song Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick sing in The Producers - "I Want to Be a Producer!"

I love that movie, but will never, ever sing that song. Producing is fucking fuck.
Sammson

Postby Michael on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:53 pm

so the end of bsg is remarkably sad.
Michael

Postby Feist on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:54 pm

Michael wrote:so the end of bsg is remarkably sad.

This.
Feist

Postby Michael on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:57 pm

it was also about the same shit as lord of the rings. "Well our journeys over, time for all of us to die" more or less.

I was kinda hoping the first earth they found was going to be the one starbuck jumps back to, and they find out that that is OUR earth, only like 50,000 years from now or something crazy like that.
Michael

Postby Malrik on Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:42 am

It is our earth... but not 50,000 years from now, it's more like 50,000 years in the past.

I'm proud of you for watching through it all after talking so much shit to me about it.
Malrik

Postby Michael on Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:52 am

I get the ending, I just didn't like it, could've been super badass but instead it was majorly depressing. Lee is just left standing in a field after laura and his father fly off, never to return, the love of his life disappears into thin fuckin air, and his wife shot herself. The only live friends he has left are helo and athena, out of like...the whole ship...

Anyway, I never liked it because I didn't -get- what it was all about, so I wanted to at least watch the first season. I never saw the mini-series, so that explained quite a lot, but I'd seen almost every episode from season 1 already, and most of season 2.

Now it's time to watch the original series..
Michael

Postby Feist on Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:14 am

Michael wrote:
Now it's time to watch the original series..

Don't. Just... don't.

Spare yourself. Seriously.
Feist

Postby Sammson on Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:38 pm

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Long titles are awesome.

I'll keep this short: You will either love this movie or despise it.

If you are a fan of intelligent, albeit sometimes slow, story-telling, powerful acting by an ensemble cast, brilliant cinematography (and a very liberal use of wide-angle lenses), and driven by beautiful a score, you will enjoy this.

If you are looking for more of a classic western, an expletive-laden Brad Pitt persona, and lossa violence, this movie will be a gross disappointment.

Jesse James is 2 hours and 40 minutes long, so it is not for your average moviegoer. (I believe it was Hitchcock who said "The length of a feature film is directly limited by the restraints of the human bladder," or something.) The grandfatherly narration can sometimes sound too verbose or pretentious, but it fits the film so well.

Casey Affleck and Brad Pitt never get boring to watch. Outstanding supporting performances by Sam Rockwell, Paul Schneider, and Garret Dillahunt (who played Deputy Wendell in No Country and steals the show in a scene between him and Brad Pitt), to name a few, drive the low-key moments of the film.

Again, this movie is NOT for everyone. It did very poorly at the box office, mostly because it is not a revamped western and it is very artful. It is, most definitely, the performance of Casey Affleck's career.

Taste of the score: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si0m1H2Hmqk
Sammson

Postby Michael on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:22 pm

I reallllllly hated that movie. I just don't like waiting a half hour for something to happen, it takes away any reality the movie is trying to portray. Yeah he was stabbing jesse james in the back and I'm sure that would take a lot of thought and planning, but do something else while he's thinking about it. 2 hours of that fucking movie are just guys sitting in chairs not talking.
Michael

Postby Sammson on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:26 pm

Hahaha, I knew you'd hate it.

I loved it :D
Sammson

Postby Michael on Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:27 pm

I, much like 99% of movie watchers, don't have the attention span to continue watching a movie when ABSOFUCKINLUTELY NOTHING IS HAPPENING More things happen in a movie that's 2 minutes long than that pos movie. Yeah it was nicely filmed, but the story is lacking nuts.
Michael

Postby Michael on Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:28 pm

BTW the last semi-good movie I saw was wonder woman
Michael

Postby Sammson on Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:35 pm

Michael wrote:I, much like 99% of movie watchers, don't have the attention span to continue watching a movie when ABSOFUCKINLUTELY NOTHING IS HAPPENING More things happen in a movie that's 2 minutes long than that pos movie. Yeah it was nicely filmed, but the story is lacking nuts.

It absolutely runs longer than necessary. But the void is filled with wonderful cinematography, narration, and music. These three things can keep me watching the grass grow for a twenty minutes or more. But that's just my taste.

Movies like Jesse James are very atmospheric, and you can tell the picture falls back on its induced atmosphere a number of times.

To me, it's worth the wait for some of the most intense scenes in the movie. And the end sequence is just wonderful. I love the narration-over-freeze-frame technique; it's seen in tons of movies, most notably Goodfellas, the Ocean's movies, and so-so movies like Snatch, where the pace is so unsettling that a frozen frame is the single most jarring, eye-catching thing next to a 747 crashing in to Jesse James's house.

The scene where everyone is at the dinner table and Charlie is telling kid stories about Robert to Jesse, and the latter two stare each other down, or the scene with Jesse about to kill Robert...I love it.

I think one of my favorite shots in the whole thing is in the first ten minutes when they're setting up for a train-jacking: Jesse's walking along the tracks, all black save his face; the gang is setting up a barricade; and the track just disappears in the distance around the black-green trees. All at probably quarter-speed. That's the first glimpse of the awesome camerawork, score, and narration working together.
Sammson

Postby Michael on Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:45 pm

so-so movies like snatch? I will destroy you. Snatch is one of the few movies that can keep a storyline following 8-9 different people together without focusing too much on one or being an overall worthless shit of a movie. Snatch has beautiful moments in it, great music, and amazing acting and story. But I agree that the end of jesse james was good. I like that freeze frame style a lot, too, especially when the camera moves around and shows all three dimensions of the shot.
Michael

Postby Michael on Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:46 pm

brad pitt is a great man
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever