the good movie thread

The forum for posting pictures of cats with subtitles and other internet inanities.

Re: the good movie thread

Postby Andre on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:07 pm

Michael wrote:I can't argue with your points, Andre, but you're saying you were drawn in at the beginning by a long shot? Why, in the tv thread, did you say it's not that impressive?

I never said the long shot in True Detective was bad. The point I was making is we had an episode with very rich character development and great story line and the long shot was all people talked about, and it bothered me. That long shot was nothing but an action scene.

The long shot in Gravity was meaningful because it set the tone of the movie, man. I am in space and this shit looks real.
Andre

Postby Psamtik on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:37 pm

I wasn't crazy about some of the choices in 12 Years (I've probably belabored that point re: the Lady Macbeth character and Brad fucking Pitt showing up to save the day in the final act), but it presents familiar material in a (mostly) compelling way, and features some of the best acting in a year that provided tremendous performances in conspicuous abundance. I'm okay with it winning, though I could easily pick a half-dozen films that I'd have rather seen get the nod (and Gravity's not one of them).

Still mad about Before Midnight, though. Adapted screenplay? Adapted from what? :|

Would've liked to see Adèle Exarchopoulos nominated for Best Actress, too.
Psamtik

Postby Cakes on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:02 pm

Psamtik wrote: Brad fucking Pitt showing up to save the day in the final act

Like it or not, that's how it happened, at least according to Northup and his former owner.

Still mad about Before Midnight, though. Adapted screenplay? Adapted from what? :|

You've convinced me. I'm going to try and watch all three of these this weekend and see what I'm missing. I've been watching Sergio Leone films lately, so looking for a change of pace.

Would've liked to see Adèle Exarchopoulos nominated for Best Actress, too.

It seemed sort of strange to see this do so well elsewhere but not get any recognition at the Oscars.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Cakes

Postby Gondlem on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:07 pm

I haven't seen the Before... films either, and people I know love them. Guess I should get around to it at some point.
Gondlem
Councilor

Postby Team on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:51 pm

Psamtik wrote:Would've liked to see Adèle Exarchopoulos nominated for Best Actress, too.

Same, will she be eligible next year? Remember reading something about the film not being released in the states by the eligibility date...something along those lines.
Team

Postby Cakes on Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:35 pm

Gondlem wrote:I haven't seen the Before... films either, and people I know love them. Guess I should get around to it at some point.

Watched them all nearly back to back this weekend. Really, really good films. Although some probably won't agree, I feel like the last one is probably the best of the three. Now I get to wait another 9-10 years like everyone else.

Also started The Act of Killing, and this documentary is truly disturbing.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Cakes

Postby Feist on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:33 pm

Cakes wrote:Also started The Act of Killing, and this documentary is truly disturbing.

The biggest Oscar criminal oversight since Citizen Kane TBQH.

Whine all you want about 12 years over Gravity or whatever, as 'undeserved' snubs go, that's nothing compared to not giving a statue to this film, which is about as singular and historic a documentary as you could ever possibly make.

Seriously. This shit is terrifying and it is special, and there will never again be another film quite like it.
Feist

Postby Psamtik on Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:54 am

Indeed, Act of Killing staggered me, to such an extent that I still find myself thinking of it (and becoming a bit ill) weeks later. Errol Morris' The Thin Blue Line is an all-time great documentary, in part, by virtue of its freeing an innocent man; in a just world, this film would have had the exact opposite effect. The director's great, too - I halfway suspect that the Academy snubbed him to prevent his publicly demanding (as he has every time he's had the opportunity) that the US government (among others) admit its part in the slaughter.

You interact on a daily basis with people who, in the right circumstances, and with enough encouragement/reinforcement, are capable of mass murder - hell, you may well be capable of it; it's an astounding work.
Psamtik

Postby Cakes on Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:54 pm

Psamtik wrote:Indeed, Act of Killing staggered me, to such an extent that I still find myself thinking of it (and becoming a bit ill) weeks later. Errol Morris' The Thin Blue Line is an all-time great documentary, in part, by virtue of its freeing an innocent man; in a just world, this film would have had the exact opposite effect. The director's great, too - I halfway suspect that the Academy snubbed him to prevent his publicly demanding (as he has every time he's had the opportunity) that the US government (among others) admit its part in the slaughter.

You interact on a daily basis with people who, in the right circumstances, and with enough encouragement/reinforcement, are capable of mass murder - hell, you may well be capable of it; it's an astounding work.

Normally I have a stomach for such things, but it's the first film I've had to watch in multiple sittings just because it's so chilling. I can't imagine actually filming something like that.
Cakes

Postby Feist on Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:01 am

Cakes wrote:Normally I have a stomach for such things, but it's the first film I've had to watch in multiple sittings just because it's so chilling. I can't imagine actually filming something like that.

Yeah, it's one thing to make a documentary about war crimes and atrocities. It's another thing to interview people who were there, maybe even a person who participated in them.

It's another thing entirely, to interview the perpetrator, have him brag about his crimes with no remorse, and then round up his old war buddies to reenact the massacre in the styles of his favorite hollywood movies.

The fact that all of this occurred willingly, and with no duress or really, any sense of guilt, or shame, or hell, even an understanding of the point of view of the filmmaker recording it, the utter lack of self consciousness... it's just lightning in a bottle in the purest sense. This is a thing that has never happened in this history of film and will probably never happen again. It's not so much a thing to be watched as it is a thing to be reckoned with. It's changed how I watch other documentaries.
Feist

Postby Fusoya on Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:36 am

Obviously need to recast...
ImageImageImage
Fusoya

Postby Feist on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:51 am

If you like Good Movies™, and don't go to see Under the Skin, you're a filthy fucking liar because you clearly don't like Good Movies™.
Feist

Postby Cactipete on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:56 am

Do you see Scarlett Johansens pussy?
Cactipete

Postby Feist on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:37 pm

She's either naked or wearing just underwear for a good quarter of the movie.
Feist

Postby gwystyl on Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:37 pm

Your sig never looked more appropriate, Feist.
gwystyl

Postby Cakes on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:18 pm

Boyhood-Trailer A really average trailer for a movie that should be pretty great.
Cakes

Postby Bladeletters on Thu May 15, 2014 12:54 am

I'm not a religious man, but I saw the movie Noah and I was impressed! It's Darren Aronofsky though, so I'm not surprised.

There's one three minute sequence in the movie that took a year to complete. It's one of the more memorable sequences I've seen in a movie recently. It depicts the Big Bang, Evolution and fuses the creation story into it a bit at the end. I'm not big on the theistic side of it, but it's worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwSWRdbSQK0
It's Bloodletters, not Bladeletters!
Bladeletters

Postby Andre on Sun May 18, 2014 6:21 pm

SpiderMan 2 and Godzilla are awesome
Andre

Postby Michael on Sun May 18, 2014 8:20 pm

Andre wrote:Godzilla is awesome

qft
Michael

Postby gwystyl on Tue May 20, 2014 10:12 am

I almost fell asleep in Godzilla. The entire first hour is useless. The main character development serves no purpose whatsoever.

Watanabe? Useless.
Cranston? Useless.
Olsen? Useless.

I didn't end up giving a shit about any of them. The whole "let's put a nuke on a train" sequence was equally retarded.
gwystyl

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever